Forums
Master planned community replacing Texas World Speedway?
9:33a, 03/13/14
http://wtaw.com/2014/03/13/plans-to-turn-texas-world-speedway-into-a-master-planned-community/

According to a WTAW interview, there's plans to turn the Texas World Speedway into a master planned community that could begin construction in a year or two. Don't know how far along the process is, but while it is interesting, I'm not sure that a big neighborhood there is better than what's there now. Thoughts?
9:55a, 03/13/14
Who's the owner? Unless it has changed hands the historic owner is unlikely to actually do anything costing more than $1.
9:57a, 03/13/14
Will they keep the track? That would be sort of corny but awesome.

"Welcome to Kasey Kahne Car Club Community" and each street can be a different racetrack.
12:08p, 03/13/14
It's amazing that pretty much everybody in this town wants it gone and turned into another subdivision. The money it would cost to replicate something like this extremely high. I wish someone would buy it and make it into a better facility, it brings so much business to the area. The right owners would kill it with that place.

Hook 'Em!
1:05p, 03/13/14
quote:
It's amazing that pretty much everybody in this town wants it gone and turned into another subdivision. The money it would cost to replicate something like this extremely high. I wish someone would buy it and make it into a better facility, it brings so much business to the area. The right owners would kill it with that place.

Hook 'Em!

What business does it bring to the community? I know there's a few events out there, but I'd be interested in learning more about the facility's economic impact.
1:09p, 03/13/14
A few events? There are events just about every weekend. A typical weekend will bring a hundred or more people to town that stay in hotels, eat at restaurants, and that sort of thing. That said, I sort of doubt the overall economic impact is that great.

The impact to the 'track' community will be huge, though. Roughly half my track time is at TWS.

robert
1:11p, 03/13/14
There's usually something going on out there every weekend. Not every weekend brings hundreds of cars (events that big only happen a few times a year), but there are most certainly events out there all the time. That and per their schedule, it looks like they keep somewhat busy during the weeks as well.

And the owner changed a few years ago. He actually did start putting money into the track by doing some facilities and track surface upgrades. I will be so damn pissed if this passes. I hate master planned communities more than I hate people who hate puppies.
1:14p, 03/13/14
Build the houses INSIDE the track!
1:24p, 03/13/14
I remember when that track was halfway between CS and Navasota. It will be in the middle of town soon.

Eventually someone will throw lots of money at the owner and the track will be gone before you know it.
1:56p, 03/13/14
It would be nice to have concerts, and races there again.

Subdivisions need to move west.

Go West Young (College Station Developer) Man, Go West !!

-- Horace (NIMBY) Greeley
2:05p, 03/13/14
No offense Snook, but Chilifest is in the wrong place.
2:07p, 03/13/14
Larger image

Smaller image
2:13p, 03/13/14
Where are they going to get those lakes from? More surface water to evaporate/decorate instead of use?
2:17p, 03/13/14
They talked about having to do a lot of dirt work. As an almost landscape architect, I know water management must be considered for the entire site. Generally you can't release water from an area any faster than it would have flowed before development. Detention and retention ponds play huge roles in development.

My guess is that those lakes will be relatively shallow and created by introducing excess fill to an outlet to backup or dam the water in an already low area.

It can either evaporate on-site as captured water, or it can evaporate down stream. I can't imagine they would be pumping in groundwater to maintain levels.
2:19p, 03/13/14
In fact, if you look at the larger picture, it says "Greenway Detention."

I wouldn't get too riled up about it.
2:30p, 03/13/14
Not riled up so much as laugh at all the thoughts of pretty blue water in people's plans. Sort of like the Brazos River for Baylor's new stadium. With the way things are going, those retentions will be growing grass or collecting dust unless we get back to having wet seasons.
2:58p, 03/13/14
Any ideas on which CS schools the subdivision will be zoned for?

Edit - I see where the developer proposed a new elementary school. This is closer to CSHS than Consol, no?

[This message has been edited by techno-ag (edited 3/13/2014 3:04p).]
3:00p, 03/13/14
Good use of the property. The racetrack has had trouble bringing crowds since its opening day and there is nothing out there that makes anyone think any different for the future.

It was a three strikes and you are out. Move on to the next batter.
3:03p, 03/13/14
this winter has been pretty wet.

I think that development would look better on the other side of the airport

And I agree that Chilifest is in the wrong place...
3:09p, 03/13/14
quote:
Good use of the property.

Wrong. There are plenty of places to build houses. There are not plenty of tracks. This track is in use every weekend all year long. They were sold out for 2014 at some ridiculously early months in 2013; usage of the facility has been on the upswing.

You might not care about it, but there are a lot of people who will lament the loss of this facility.

robert
3:25p, 03/13/14
We get it Robert, you like Texas World Speedway for whatever reason. I for one, don't use the facility (so don't care either way) and believe it's owners should be able to do whatever they want with it. If it makes them a bunch of money I applaud them for doing it. I don't understand the outrage from some of you toward a private owner/s doing whatever they want with their property. This city is growing south because they have to. Texas A&M owns huge pieces of land to the west at the north end of the city and Bryan owns the north and part of the east. Where are they supposed to go?
3:29p, 03/13/14
Please tell me where I said or implied that private owners shouldn't be able to do what they want with their property.

robert
3:51p, 03/13/14
Oh goody- more tiny lots
4:10p, 03/13/14
quote:
We get it Robert, you like Texas World Speedway for whatever reason. I for one, don't use the facility (so don't care either way) and believe it's owners should be able to do whatever they want with it. If it makes them a bunch of money I applaud them for doing it. I don't understand the outrage from some of you toward a private owner/s doing whatever they want with their property. This city is growing south because they have to. Texas A&M owns huge pieces of land to the west at the north end of the city and Bryan owns the north and part of the east. Where are they supposed to go?

They are supposed to go up. Sprawl makes for a miserable living experience.
4:22p, 03/13/14
I apologize Robert for calling you by name. It was more of the overall feel of the thread with you being only a tiny portion of the posts. I understand the frustration on the part of those who enjoy the track. I just also understand the owner wanting to make money. Obviously the track hasn't worked out like it was initially envisioned to. I would prefer to keep it also just for the novelty and the area racers. I just think we shouldn't care so much if we aren't writing the checks to keep it in business ( I admit your opinion is more important than mine since you utilize it).
4:34p, 03/13/14
One of the addresses better be RHP997
5:24p, 03/13/14
A few years ago I had the wacky idea that we should form some kind of nonprofit club thing and go in as a group to buy it. Not many of us racers have the cash individually to buy the place, but I bet as a group we could have put it together. It was an idea I more or less kept to myself because it was so out there. I wish I had at least tried to sell it, now. I believe at least one other track in the US has gone that route successfully.

robert
Page 1 of 5 (148 replies)
Forum Help & Options
For questions concerning the moderation of this
forum, please email:
Jump to TexAgs forums: