Forums
Economic Impact Study of Moving a Football Season out of BCS
1:41p, 09/20/12
Tuesday, September 25 at 10am the Bryan-College Station Convention & Visitors Bureau(BCSCVB)and the Chamber of Commerce will host a press conference at the Hilton to release the results of a study on the economic impact of hosting a football season outside of Brazos County. The press conference is open to the public.

Within the past year, Texas A&M University has made the decision to renovate Kyle Field. Among the options being discussed is playing a football season outside of Brazos County while a new field is being built.

In July, the BCSCVB and Chamber hired a consultant group, Oxford Economics, to quantify the potential economic impact of playing a football season outside of the city. They estimate this decision could incur massive losses to local businesses, households, and government.

A representative from Oxford Economics, Adam Sacks, will be releasing the findings as well as answering questions from the public and media.

If you have any immediate questions please contact Holli Conley at 979-260-9898 or holli@bcscvb.org
2:04p, 09/20/12
2:18p, 09/20/12
So, is it going to happen or not?
2:39p, 09/20/12
Wait until Tuesday Sept 25th to find out.

[This message has been edited by Swingline03 (edited 9/20/2012 2:41p).]
2:50p, 09/20/12
2:50p, 09/20/12
2:59p, 09/20/12
I can spend about one minute and tell you the impact . Best guess, $3 million per game.

Also, look at the net effect of losing $1.00. In theory, that $1 will be passed seven times within the community.

I know this because of a three hour ECON course I took back in the late 80's.
3:07p, 09/20/12
Did the study also look into the gain of having a renovated kyle field with increased capacity, comparing the short term loses with the long term gains?
3:21p, 09/20/12
quote:
Did the study also look into the gain of having a renovated kyle field with increased capacity, comparing the short term loses with the long term gains?

It's not going to focus on whether or not Kyke Field should be renovated. It's going to be about what would happen if it was done in a way that would cause us to play a year outside of college station.

The intelligent way to use this information is for the city's businesses and residents to evaluate whether or not the economic impact makes it worth contributing towards the additional funding needed to avoid that scenario.
3:23p, 09/20/12
aint gonna happen, said this from day one. aint never, ever gonna happen...
3:35p, 09/20/12
There are quite a few questions that come to mind. perhaps others here have perspective on some of these questions.

1. In the early 80's there was a massive addition to the stadium without disruption to in-town games. What is happening now that would keep this from being possible, even if work were delayed during the season?

2. Didn't the Athletic Program take a secret 16 million dollar interest free loan from the university, an issue that cost Elsa Murano her job? Has that been repaid?

3. At 82,600 Kyle Field is the 14th largest stadium in the country; that includes professional stadiums. Our stadium is bigger than that of the Dallas Cowboys, who manage pretty well. Do we really need this?

4. Is there a precedent, in other college stadium decisions, for this level of disregard for a community's economic welfare?

5. Will people feel that we are failing to support the Aggie football team if we oppose this effort?

6. Is this inline with Aggie values?

Please understand, these questions are not rhetorical, I am interested in learning more about all of this.

Hugh Stearns
President
Stearns Design Build
StearnsDesignBuild.com
facebook.com/StearnsDesignBuild
3:35p, 09/20/12
but if they were to do it its way more than 3 mil. I know one business that would lose 1.5 mil alone... but it aint gonna happen and not because of community impact. Becasus of cost to the university. They will come back down from la la land eventually, the architect is dreaming big, but reality will set in. Its all about the money and there just isn't that much out there for it.
3:47p, 09/20/12
LostInLA07, You seem to be missing the concept that certain versions of the renovations may require the games to be played off site. As such, if all games were to be played in Kyle Field, the city may not get as large of a stadium with as much of an economic draw.

Stearns Design Build, there are a lot of issues at play here. First off, it's not an expansion, it's a renovation. That means rebuilding existing areas, not simply adding on to the complete structure. Also, emphasizing that same point, it's a renovation; there are many parts of Kyle Field that are in decay and are venturing near safety and code issues. It needs to be renovated, even if it was not to be expanded. Seeing as this construction needs to and will happen, it is absolutely a wise investment for TAMU to expand the stadium and update its features to meet the increased demand from a growing student and former student body, as well as the move to the SEC. The amenities and experience offered by Kyle Field (not the 12th man) are piss poor.

PS, Dallas Cowboy stadium capacity is ~110,000. Be careful comparing seats to capacity, as many/most stadiums offer standing room or picnic areas that count towards capacity and ticket sales but not seats.

[This message has been edited by XI XI (edited 9/20/2012 3:52p).]
3:47p, 09/20/12
Just for comparison for stadium seating capacities in the SEC:
1. Tennessee 102,455
2. Alabama 101,821
3. Georgia 92,746
4. LSU 92,542
5. Florida 88,548
6. Auburn 87,451
7. Texas A&M 83,002
8. South Carolina 80,250
9. Arkansas 76,000
10. Missouri 71,004
11. Kentucky 67,530
12. Ole Miss 60,580
13. Mississippi State 55,082
14. Vanderbilt 39,790

A few of these (South Carolina and Ole Miss, I believe) have announced stadium expansions to come in the next year or so.
3:50p, 09/20/12
1. As is, The Zone is about all that would remain. Either they have to go out of town for a year or be willing to build on a new site (good luck with #2 ever happening).
2. $16MM is nothing in the world of financed college athletics.
3. It's full and ticket demand currently exceeds availability especially for road fans from the SEC.
4. No clue. Yes, the University and AD need to consider the local community.
5. The new/upgraded stadium is going to happen whether the local businesses are on board or not but I do hope the University/AD consider their concerns.
6. (Same as 5)
3:50p, 09/20/12
I hope that you are right AgCPA. I guess I would like to know who is driving this and why. It seems that they are counting SEC chickens before they have hatched. It seems that they are also inflating the price of poultry.

Hugh Stearns
President
Stearns Design Build
StearnsDesignBuild.com
3:53p, 09/20/12
Stearns Design Build, I edited a previous post to respond to yours.
3:54p, 09/20/12
Lets be frank here folks.......

The economic impact to B/CS upon losing a football season would be tremendous.

If local biz doe$ not want A&M football to depart for a $ea$on, they $hould probably have a di$cu$$ion with decision maker$.
3:55p, 09/20/12
So has the 16 million been repaid? I think that the loan was taken in 2003. I'm not sure what that would mean if it had been invested with interest, or if had been used to keep some of the great professors we have lost due to budget cuts and a loss of moral.

Hugh Stearns
President
Stearns Design Build
StearnsDesignBuild.com
3:57p, 09/20/12
Yes.
Another thing to keep in mind, Stearns, is that academic and athletic funding are entirely separate beasts.
double post.

[This message has been edited by XI XI (edited 9/20/2012 3:59p).]
4:00p, 09/20/12
quote:
If local biz doe$ not want A&M football to depart for a $ea$on, they $hould probably have a di$cu$$ion with decision maker$.

Yep.
4:01p, 09/20/12
XI XI thanks for the nice explanation. I guess that I remain skeptical partly because of the secret loan. Obviously safety should be the first priority and, if work needs to be done for those reasons, I support it. What percentage of what is proposed is based on safety issues and could those changes be made without exporting a significant amount of our economy?

Hugh Stearns
President
Stearns Design Build
StearnsDesignBuild.com
4:02p, 09/20/12
It wasn't secret, and Athletics paid it back quickly, and with interest IIRC. You'd have to ask the football board more details.
4:02p, 09/20/12
Athletic and academic funding ceased to be separate when the athletic program took a secret interest free loan from the university.

Hugh Stearns
President
Stearns Design Build
StearnsDesignBuild.com
4:06p, 09/20/12
It wasn't secret after Murano brought it to light six years after the loan was made. Does anyone know where the details of this repayment can be found?

Hugh Stearns
President
Stearns Design Build
StearnsDesignBuild.com
4:08p, 09/20/12
What does that loan have to do with anything that we are talking about?

And at any rate it did not cause Elsa Murano her job, her complete inepitude cost her that job. And the loan is in repayment right now and it is current. And by the way, the loan was a Gates idea, not Murano.

4:09p, 09/20/12
quote:
Athletic and academic funding ceased to be separate when the athletic program took a secret interest free loan from the university.

Don't worry the hijacking of funds from the HSC, once assimilated, will make up for it.
4:10p, 09/20/12
And it wasn't secret, it just wasn't reported to the media. Unless you count not sending out a press realease "secret."

And she didn't come out and blow the whistle on it. It came up during her performance appraisal and that's how it spread.
Page 1 of 13 (375 replies)
Forum Help & Options
For questions concerning the moderation of this
forum, please email:
Jump to TexAgs forums: